Slow cooked pulled pork with Kaleslaw in a wholegrain wrap
Cooking Time: 6- 8 hours of slow cooking + 10 minutes to serve up Serves: 4
High protein, fibre, antioxidants
This recipe is a family favourite. Slow cooked pork infuses lots of mouth watering flavours. Serving it a wholemeal wrap and adding in lots of chopped vegetables including cabbage or a store brought Kale slaw adds crunch and the real food plant powers that can help keep cells healthy.
1.6kg pork shoulder (trim fat)
2 tbsp smoked paprika
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp cayenne pepper
4 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 medium onion finely chopped
1 tsp rock salt
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup a quality bbq sauce
Bag of Beet or Kale coleslaw or a homemade coleslaw (cabbage, carrot, chopped Kale, spring onion etc)
wholemeal wraps, toasted
- Trim fat strips off the pork
- Mix together the garlic, onion, bbq sauce and dried spices and rub into all sides of the pork
- Place vinegar and water in the bottom of the slow cooker and add pork carefully
- Cover and cook on low for about 8 hours or in the pressure cooker for 40 minutes
- Remove pork and shred (remove any large fatty pieces and discard)
- Add juices from the slow cooker as desired
- Either make your own coleslaw with finely chopped cabbage with a mix of red or white cabbage, finely chopped kale, grated carrot and spring onions or buy a pre-made fresh bag option such as beet or kale coleslaw in the fruit and vegetable section in the supermarket
- Place around 2-3 pieces of shredded pork on the wrap, top with 1 tbsp bbq sauce, coleslaw and a sprinkle of cheese. Roll the wrap and serve.
Extra meal options: A slow and fast cooker is a great option as you can either put the meal on before you leave or pressure cook it within 30 minutes or so. Pulled pork is an easy and flavour-packed option that is great to recycle across the week in sandwiches, toasties and vegetable-packed pasta.
Nutrition per serve : Energy 514 kcal, 13g fat, 2g saturated, 30g protein, 47g low GI carbs, 20g sugar, 7g fibre, 1g salt.