Health kicked chicken rice
Cooking Time: 1 hour
CANutrition Tip: Chicken rice is Singapore's national dish. It is a lovely light meal and this is the recipe I developed for a popular health food cafe. Left overs are great for lunch and it can be a good meal to nibble on if your not feeling great.
a 1.6 kg free range chicken
750 ml (3 cups) Shaoxing rice wine
8 green onions, chopped
16 tsp garlic (use a jar or substitute 12 crushed garlic cloves)
2L chicken stock
2 cups of brown rice
1 large cucumber
small bunch of coriander
Ginger dipping sauce
3 spring onions, finely chopped
1 tablespoon finely grated ginger
60ml (1/4cup) rice bran oil
Chilli dipping sauce
5 long red chillies, roughly chopped
1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
2 Tsp grated ginger
2 Tsp caster sugar
1 lime, juiced
1. Add the Chicken (breast side down), the Shaoxing rice wine, 4 litres of cold water, garlic and green onions into a large stockpot and bring to the boil.
2. As soon as the chicken boils, lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Then turn the heat off and let the chicken stand for 3 hours (you can put this on in the morning or the night before and stand overnight).
3. Then using tongs, carefully remove chicken from stock and drain on a tray. Strain the broth, discarding any solids and set the broth aside.
4. Then cook 2 cups of brown rice, in 3-4 cups of the reserved chicken broth. To cook the rice bring it to the boil and then turn off the heat and let the rice stand for 30-45 minutes or until the rice is tender (You can also cook the rice in a microwave rice bowl - cover the rice with the broth and extra water if needed and cook on high for 20 minutes)
5. To make the ginger dipping sauce, combine spring onions and ginger in a small heatproof bowl. Place 1/4 of a cup of a vegetable oil in a small saucepan or in a heat proof mug in the microwave. Heat the oil for 1-3 minutes or until it is hot. Then carefully pour hot oil over the spring onion mixture and stir to combine well. Set aside to cool. Makes 160ml (2/3 cup).
6. To make the chilli dipping sauce, process all ingredients in a food processor to a smooth paste. Alternatively, use a mortar and pestle. Set aside. Makes 80ml.
7. Meanwhile, gently reheat the chicken (you can reheat it in the broth or on a low heat in the microwave). Then remove any ginger and onion from the chicken cavity and discard. Using a cleaver, cut chicken into 12 pieces and place on a platter.
9. Peel a cucumber and finely chop the carrots to serve with the chicken. Reheat the remaining broth in a small saucepan or in the microwave and divide the hot broth among 4 bowls. Scatter coriander sprigs over chicken, then serve with broth, the rice and both dipping sauces.
Nutrition Per Serve: Energy 512 kcal, 19g fat, 3g saturated, 34g protein, 54g carbohydrates