Flavourful Persian falafels
Cooking Time: 20 minutes Serves: 4
Goodness provided: This recipe is taken from Sabrina Gahyour's book: Simply: Easy Everyday Dishes, it is a lovely book that includes more than 100 fuss-free recipes full of flavour and colour. The flavour and colour in these recipes incorporate lots of healthy tastes and plant powered nutrients. Falafels are also a great bite sized option and when dipped in a tasty sauce they can be a good choice for dull appetites or taste buds.
250g dried chickpeas
50g ﬂat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
50g fresh coriander, roughly chopped
1 large carrot, scrubbed and grated
2 large garlic cloves, very finely chopped
4 fat spring onions, very thinly sliced
1 onion, very finely chopped
2 tbsp plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground turmeric
vegetable oil, for pan frying
sea salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper
- Soak the chickpeas in cold water overnight, or for 8-10 hours, then drain.
- Put the chickpeas along with all the remaining main ingredients, except the vegetable oil, into a food processer and season generously with salt and pepper. Blitz until evenly combined but still slightly coarse in texture (don't worry too much about the consistency)
- Pour enough oil into a deep frying pan or saucepan to fill to a depth of about 4cm. Heat the oil over a medium heat and bring to frying temperature – it should be hot but not smoking (add a pinch of mixture: if it sizzles immediately, the oil is hot enough). Line a plate with absorbent kitchen paper
- Take scoops of the mixture and roll into smooth balls about 4cm in diameter. Fry the falafels in batches, a few at a time without overcrowding the pan, for 2-3 minutes, or until just starting to brown all over. Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to the paper-lined plate to drain.
- Serve in wholemeal pita breads that have been warmed in the oven for 5 -10 minutes, with sliced gherkins, sliced tomatoes, pickled cucumbers, sliced red cabbage, Greek or natural yoghurt (or vegan alternative) and chilli sauce
Per Serve: Energy 753 calories, Fat 37g, Protein 40g, Carb 74g, Sodium 1224mg