Low in saturated fat, rich in zinc and a great source of anti-inflammatory omega 3 fatty acids – there are just so many reasons to include 3-4 oily fish meals across the week. Fish is also an important source of protein, potassium and prostate protecting zinc. Fish is a very versatile food as it can be eaten canned, smoked or cooked in many ways. Easy fish meals can include fish cakes, fish pie or there can be nothing better than a quality piece of salmon pan fried or barbequed (always put the skin of the fish on the hot grill for protection). Tin or smoked salmon or other fish mixed with a quality tomato sauce or some Philadelphia cheese with some capers is a very easy meal.
- 450g fresh salmon fillets
- 350g mashed potato (not too wet)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon of fresh parsley (chopped)
- Small can of corn (optional)
- Dried white breadcrumbs
- Chopped red pepper
- Seasoned flour
- Oil for frying
- Mix salmon and potato together. Season well with salt and pepper
- Add the butter, parsley and a small amount if needed to bind the mixture. It is a bit sloppy this mixture.
- Put seasoned flour in one bowl, beaten egg in another bowl and breadcrumbs in another bowl.
- Dip in flour, then egg and then breadcrumbs.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and fry until the fish cakes are golden brown on both side.
- Serve with some sweet chilli sauce.